Get Creative with Gifts


Is it just me, or does it seem like there is some event to buy a gift for every other week? There’s Christmas, birthdays, Mother’s and Father’s Day, weddings, baby/bridal showers, etc. That’s a lot of gift-giving events, and if you are married, double it! It can get very expensive to buy all these gifts. Well, Mike and I have come up with ways to lessen the blow to our wallet.


1. Plan Ahead

For the most part, you know when these events occur each year. Start by making a list of all the people you anticipate purchasing gifts for next year. Brainstorm gift ideas for each person and event on the list. It will evolve over time, but it’s helpful to get some initial ideas written down, so if you find yourself in a pinch, you still have some ideas to get you started. Also, if you have a list of gift ideas, you can snag great deals when you see them. Last year, Mike and I bought the Christmas gift for his dad in March. We had it wrapped and ready to go for almost nine months. Plus, preparing gifts in advance will alleviate stress as the events approach.

2. Look for Coupons

When it comes to coupons, Kohl’s is my favorite store. Every few months we get a coupon in the mail that is $10 off anything $10 or more. Do you know what I think when I read that? FREE!!! Many times, Mike and I have left Kohl’s with a great item that we bought for only a few pennies. Occasionally we end up buying something for our home, but we always go with the mindset of looking for a gift for someone else.

3. Shop on Groupon.com

Groupon can be a great place to find gifts. Their inventory is always changing, so it is good to check it periodically, rather than just when you need to buy something. I love giving someone a wonderful gift that should have cost me far more than I actually paid for it.

4. Get Crafty

A homemade gift means something different to each person. Some people don’t like receiving handmade gifts; however, many people like handmade gifts more than store-bought gifts. In my experience, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are perfect opportunities to make homemade gifts. Although it may be cheaper, making a gift is, usually, more time consuming than going to the store and picking something off the shelf, so it shows your heart in the gift.

In a future blog post, I will show some of the homemade gifts I have made and how to make them yourself. However, first I need my parents to help me find them so I can take pictures. 

Try to start thinking about the gifts you need to buy for the upcoming holiday season now, and keep your eye out for great deals. I’d love to hear any success stories that you have!

Comments