Deviled Eggs

In the Emery household (my side of the family), eating deviled eggs is a strategic sport. They go fast…very fast! You need to have a plan of attack if you want to have more than one. I attribute my many successful batches of deviled eggs to two things: (1) A fun piping tip to make them look fancy and (2) simple ingredients. When it comes to deviled eggs, I am a purist. I like to keep it simple: hard-boiled eggs, Miracle Whip, a touch of mustard, salt & pepper, a sprinkle of paprika—and you’re done! I use the paprika more as a garnish than for actual flavor.

I like bringing deviled eggs to gatherings because they seem to be a crowd-pleaser (more so with the Emery’s than other families). Another perk is that they are easy to make. Time-consuming…a bit, but they are not difficult. Also, the ingredients are staples that you will probably find in your fridge and pantry at any given time. 

This week, for instance, my Bible study had a potluck. I found out about the potluck after I had already gone to the grocery store for the week, so I didn’t have a plan ready. Thankfully I had all of the ingredients and was able to whip up some deviled eggs for the occasion. As a side bonus, one of the gals in my group cannot eat gluten, and these do not contain any. So that means they’re healthy, right? ;)


Ingredients

One dozen eggs
½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
15-20 drops of mustard
salt & pepper, to taste
paprika, for garnish



Instructions
  1. Hard boil the eggs. Place eggs in the bottom of a large pot in a single layer. Cover with warm water. Cook on stove on medium-high heat (7) for 30 minutes (start to finish).
  2. Rinse eggs in cold water before peeling.
  3. Peel the eggs
  4. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise.
  5. Scoop out the yolks, and put them in a separate bowl.
  6. Whip up yolks with a hand mixer until no large chunks remain.
  7. Add mayo, mustard, salt & pepper, and continue mixing until you achieve your desired taste and consistency.
  8. Fill a piping bag or sandwich bag with your mixture and pipe into the empty egg shells like you would a soft-serve ice cream cone.
  9. Sprinkle with paprika




Notes
  • Feel free to adjust the amounts of the ingredients. It’s not a perfect science. I have never measured out the ingredients when making deviled eggs, so my measurements above are an estimation to get people started if it is their first time.
  • Eggs that are closer to their expiration date when cooked are easier to peel. I usually buy eggs two weeks in advance when I know I will be making deviled eggs.
  • I use Wilton piping tip #21. I bought my piping tips individually, as I found a need for them, rather than buying a big set of ones I will never use. I only have 4 or so tips that I use mostly for deviled eggs, of course, cupcakes and cakes. An individual tip only costs $0.96 to $1.99.
  • I pretty much always use a piping bag because they are a bit bigger and easier to handle. It is also nice that they are much thicker than sandwich bags. I didn’t realize this until I tried to use a sandwich bag this last time since I was making a smaller batch. If you do use a sandwich bag, make sure to double it up. I didn’t, and the bag burst, and yolk mixture went all over my counter. Lesson learned!
  • You can also use a fork instead of a hand mixer; it just might not turn out as smooth. But, if you don’t have a hand mixture, don’t feel like you can’t make deviled eggs.

Cost per batch: $2.72
Cost per egg: $0.11
Calories per batch: 1,190
Calories per egg: 50


Comments