Simple Gift Idea - Spice Rubs

With the holidays approaching, I thought this would be a good opportunity to share some simple gift ideas. I enjoy making homemade gifts. I enjoy the process of making them; I can create the gift I envisioned, and I can get more bang for my buck. When I am able to save money on a gift, it means I am able to give more using the same budget.

A year or so ago, for part of my brother’s birthday gift, I made him a set of spice rubs. He likes grilling, so I thought this could be a good way to complement one of his hobbies. I did a little research online and found some recipes that sounded delicious. I have listed them below.

All-Purpose Spice Rub
⅓ cup coarse salt
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup paprika
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

Carolina BBQ Spice Rub
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
¼ cup paprika



Instructions
1. Combine each set of ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.
2. Portion the spice rub into decorative containers.



Notes
  • A simple measurement conversion is ¼ cup = 4 tbsp.
  • For containers, try using small mason jars or a clean, empty sauce jar. I used 8 oz. pesto jars and empty spice shakers. Make them look more finished by adding a personalized label.
  • When I gave my brother the spice rub set, I also included recipe cards, so he could make the spice rubs if he liked them.
  • These recipes call for quite a bit of paprika, and since spices can be expensive at the grocery store, I was able to find it cheaper at the dollar store. Not all spices are available at the dollar store, but I have had good luck with paprika.
  • Mike and I use these rubs all the time. We really like the Carolina BBQ rub on steaks. The all-purpose rub is great on chicken, steak, and vegetables.



Comments