Hobbies Don’t Have to Be Expensive

I’m addicted to reading. Many addictions require 12-step programs to stop, but this is one addiction I will not be quitting. I am a bookworm to the core.

We all have hobbies. They are excellent ways to relax and unwind, and can be great ways to enhance relationships with family and friends. No matter what your hobby is, it probably costs money. I am not exempt, but I have found ways to reduce the cost of my hobbies. Your hobbies are probably different than mine, but I've got a few tips that may save you some money.

Look for free alternatives.
  • I go to the library every couple weeks and come home with a big stack of books. I always love to have choices. The best part is; they're FREE!!! Visiting the library reminds me of shopping. I can go to the library, and peruse to my heart’s content, or I can search for a book online. If I find a book on the library's website, I can request it, and it will arrive in a few days for me to pick up.
  • I also like Pilates, but rather than going to expensive classes, I found a few YouTube channels that have terrific videos.
  • My husband, Mike, enjoys computer games. He showed me there are many free online games. Many new games cost money; however, if you wait a few months, the developer sometimes releases games for free.
  • Mike is also a car buff. I did a Google search and found a lot of great car shows in our area. This website lists car shows by state, so you can locate them in your area. Mike and my dad went to a free car show a couple weeks ago, and Mike said it was better than the car shows he used to attend at the Minneapolis Convention Center for a fee.
Look for inexpensive alternatives.
  • I look for used books at Half-Price Books and Amazon if I find one I want to own, or if I need to highlight or underline in a book.
  • Well, you may be thinking, “Eva, I don’t like to read. What about my hobbies?” To that I say, look for coupons and BOGO deals (buy one, get one). Say you enjoy golfing. There are several coupons in Happenings Books for BOGO free rounds of golf. Sharing a golf coupon with a friend can save you both a substantial amount.
  • Do you like movies? There are various ways to save money when you want to see a movie. There are inexpensive cinemas around the country. We have one a few miles from our home that shows movies no longer in mainstream theaters but not yet available on DVD and Blu-ray. Instead of paying $10 a ticket at AMC, we pay $2.50 to $3.00 a ticket at the bargain theater. Since we are rarely current with pop culture, saving money is worth being somewhat behind the times. Another budget-friendly choice is Redbox. Rather than buying a movie for $20 that you will only watch a few times, rent it for $1.50. Many larger libraries have great video collections you can utilize for free or a slight charge.
  • As mentioned in my prior post about gifts, Groupon.com can also be a good source of bargains for just about everything under the sun.  No matter what your hobby or need might be, you are bound to find a great deal there.
Let your hobbies pay for themselves.
  • I love crafting. More specifically, I love sewing; however, sewing can be expensive. Thankfully, I have been able to sell some of my creations to help fund my hobby.


  • My husband’s computer games often have monthly subscription fees. Fortunately, he is frequently able to pay them with in-game currency, so it doesn't actually cost him real money.
I hope this gives you some ideas of how to balance the cost and enjoyment of your hobbies. If you have any money-saving hobby tips, please share them!

Comments