Frontier Stuff

Frontier Stuff was a childhood favorite of mine. I have no idea where the name came from, but my mom said she thought she found the recipe on the side of a noodle box many years ago. In any case, it’s just plain good! It’s hearty, satisfying, comforting, and homey. I feel calm and relaxed whenever I eat Frontier Stuff—it is simple to make and delicious. I remember the first time I made it for my husband, I was nervous that it wasn't going to be as I remembered, but it was like a time-warp back to when I was ten-years-old. So good! My husband, Mike, loves it and requests it often. Frontier Stuff is probably one of the easiest dishes to make; if you can boil water and stir, you are good to go! Plus, this dish falls well within our food budget guidelines that Mike and I set for us at just $0.64/serving.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Ingredients

2 cups elbow noodles
1 can Hormel chili with beans
1 can tomato soup


Instructions 

1. Prepare noodles as suggested on the box.
2. Strain the noodles, and set them aside.
3. Put the chili and tomato soup in the pot that you used to cook the noodles. Stir on low-heat until smooth.
4. Add the noodles to the sauce, and stir until coated.


Notes

  • This recipe makes 4 (2-cup) servings.
  • I will also use generic brands for the tomato soup to save a little extra. It tastes the same!

Cost for the batch: $2.55
Cost for a serving: $0.64
Calories for the batch: 1,545
Calories for a serving: 386




Comments